Reporting Corruption or Misconduct

If you have a complaint to make, or information to provide, about corruption or misconduct, Victoria has several agencies that receive reports from the general public. Public integrity agencies share and refer reports and complaints to ensure that there is no ‘wrong door’ to knock on when making a report. However, knowing the right agency can ensure your report or information is correctly and efficiently addressed. 

Victoria’s integrity agencies

Victoria’s integrity system consists of three main independent agencies. The Victorian Inspectorate and Victorian Parliament oversee all three agencies, who share a collective aim to protect the integrity of Victoria’s public sector and its police.

The agencies are:

  • The Victorian Ombudsman – Investigates administrative actions of state government departments, local councils and statutory authorities. It can take complaints about council services, compliance with policies or actions or decisions that may be unreasonable.
    • Contact: 1800 806 314 (between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday)

      Alternatively, you can lodge a complaint via the Ombudsman’s online complaints portal.

  • The Victorian Auditor-General’s Office – Provides independent assurance to the parliament and the Victorian community on the state’s financial integrity and performance. 
  • The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission – Exposes and prevents public sector corruption and police misconduct. take complaints about suspected corruption and misconduct, including taking or offering bribes, committing fraud or theft and misusing information. 
    • Phone: 1300 735 135 (between 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).

    • Web-based complaints: 
    • Email:

Additionally, the Local Government Inspectorate assesses and investigates complaints about potential breaches of the Local Government Act by councils, councillors and staff, including:

  • conflict of interest
  • misuse of position
  • disclosure of confidential information
  • directing council staff
  • electoral offences.

Who can report corruption or misconduct?

Any member of the public can report improper conduct or corruption. If you choose to, you can remain anonymous in doing so, although this means that integrity agencies cannot contact you for further information or keep you informed. Certain complaints can qualify complainants and whistleblowers for protection under the Public Interest Disclosures Act

Before making a report, it is important to know what behaviour you are addressing and whether it meets the criteria for integrity agencies. Integrity agencies often receive, but are not in a position to address, complaints regarding unrelated issues, such as:

  • traffic fines
  • private sector companies
  • electricity, water or gas bills
  • Australian government bodies, such as Centrelink or Australia Post.

A list of agencies that can address these and other issues that are unrelated to integrity can be found by following this link.


Corruption is the misuse of public power, position or funds. It can happen through:

  • improper or unlawful actions 
  • failure to act by public sector staff or agencies 
  • people trying to improperly influence the functions or decisions of the public sector.


Misconduct, or improper conduct, can involve:

  • criminal or corrupt activity
  • serious misconduct, like theft of public resources such as money or equipment, or using a corporate credit card to buy personal items
  • actions that are a risk to public health, safety or to the environment, like ignoring a serious threat or risk to someone’s safety
  • conduct that prevents or negatively affects honest work responsibilities, like accepting gifts and hospitality in return for special treatment
  • dishonest actions, like favouring a friend or relative during a procurement or recruitment process
  • misusing information or material, whether it’s for personal benefit or not.

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)

IBAC is responsible for preventing and exposing public sector corruption and police misconduct in Victoria.

This covers:

  • state and local government
  • police
  • parliament 
  • the judiciary (for example, judges and the courts).

It does this by:

  • receiving complaints and notifications of public sector corruption and police misconduct
  • investigating and exposing serious corruption and police misconduct
  • raising awareness of the risks and impacts of corruption and police misconduct, and how to prevent it.

1300 735 135 (between 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).

1800 806 314 (between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday)

Alternatively, you can lodge a complaint via the Ombudsman’s online complaints portal.