Lodging objections or complaints with Liquor Control Victoria

Melbourne is a vibrant, dynamic city. Our historic buildings, shopping precincts, beautiful public gardens and cultural organisations make Melbourne a wonderful place to live. While we realise that new developments and refurbishments of existing buildings are a part of living in the city, these can sometimes impact negatively on the quality of life as residents. However, as rate-payers, we have a right to object where we feel development or proposed changes to operation of an established business will impact on the amenity of our neighbourhood.

Liquor Control Victoria

The following is an updated guide to where you can go for information and processes you can follow to formally object to liquor licence applications. The updates reflect the establishment of the Victorian Gambling & Casin​o Control Commission (VGCCC) and Liquor Control Victoria (LCV), which commenced operation in July 2022. The VGCCC will focus only on gambling and casin​o regulation.

Liquor Control Victoria (LCV) is the state’s regulator for liquor licensing matters. Website content is in transition from the VGCCC website however, the links below will help you find the information you need.

You can contact Liquor Control Victoria at:

Client Services: 1300 182 457
Email: contact@liquor.vic.gov.au


Complaints can be made in writing, either by hard copy, email or online. It’s useful to note that while you can make a complaint anonymously, providing your details will enable follow up if further information is required. These details are kept private.

Liquor complaints

To make a complaint about possible breaches to liquor legislation, for example, drunken or anti-social behaviour, or the Responsible Serving of Alcohol, use the information and form at:

Amenity complaints

You can submit a formal amenity complaint where a licensed premises is causing detriment to, or detraction from, the amenity of an area. Amenity is defined as the “quality of that area as being pleasant and agreeable”. This could include such things as drunkenness, noise disturbance to occupiers of other premises, obstructing footpaths and littering.

To make a complaint about possible breaches to amenity, use the information and form at;

Objecting to a liquor licence application

Liquor Control Victoria provides a process for objecting to a liquor licence application. It is important to note that you will be required to provide your name and address as part of the objection and these details will be made available to the licence applicant. Information can be found at:

You can also search online to look for current liquor licences and applications throughout Victoria at:


Hearings and decisions:

Enforcement actions and undertakings:

Application to the Commission for an internal review:
(under “Other forms and resources”, then under “Objecting or appealing a liquor licence decision”)
https://content.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2024-02/internal-review-application.pdf  (example form)

Historical decisions and prosecutions:

Other Information

Local Government:
To understand planning permits and their relationship to liquor licence applications you may want to start with a general summary of local government and their role in the regulation liquor, which you will find at:
(information is then under each relevant licence category)

Licensee obligations:

Demerit point and star rating systems:

Guidelines for Public (display) Notices:

Maximum patron capacity:
(information is then under each relevant licence category)

Plans of licensed premises: